I suggest you ...

Display exact measurements when turning dials.

When turning the dials to adjust a setting, we can only see the middle (0) and high/low numbers. While turing the dials, it would be helpful to see the exact number appear on the screen (above the dial, or on it), especially to use as a reference later.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dennis MetzcherDennis Metzcher shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AlaricAdminAlaric (Developer, Process) commented  · 

The order of the dials was reversed in 2.0 due to feedback from users. I personally prefer the way they were, so I see what you mean. If others have any feedback on this, feel free to contribute to the conversation.

• Dennis MetzcherDennis Metzcher commented  · 

One thing I noticed as I'm playing with the app a little more: The dials seem to be reversed in terms of what one would expect to see. Instead of the positive values being to the right of zero, they are to the left, and the negative values are to the right.

1. They are set up like this:

+3 . . . . +2 . . . . +1 . . . . 0 . . . . -1 . . . . -2 . . . . -3

2. But I think they should be set up like this:

-3 . . . . -2 . . . . -1 . . . . 0 . . . . +1 . . . . +2 . . . . +3

I suppose that this is just a personal preference, but I instinctively slid the dial to the left in order to increase the number, but found that it decreased it instead. That might be because I am used to seeing things (like timelines, for example, although I understand that this is not a timeline, of course) increase from left to right, as in my example (#2) above.

• Dennis MetzcherDennis Metzcher commented  · 

Please ignore my previous comment (which I've deleted). I thought I was on the latest version, but I was still running v.1.9 instead of v.2.0.

The changes you've implemented in 2.0 are great. They allow finer grained control and each mark on the dial increments by the same amount. Very nice. :-)

• PhoenixPhoenix commented  · 

Alaric, I left a couple of ideas for this under the "Fixed Increment Adjustments" heading.

• LukeLuke commented  · 

Balancing large and small scale adjustments is hard but necessary. The sliders are too sensitive for small adjustments. Lifting finger of screen causes the slider to jump away from the desired adjustment a little amount. Plus, because of on-the-fly processing, it's slow and tedious to get the exact desired adjustment. It usually takes me 3 or 4 attempts.

• AlaricAdminAlaric (Developer, Process) commented  · 

This is something I'm aware of, and have been looking in to the right way to do it. The goal with the dials was to provide a way to give fine grained control without sacrificing speed of making large adjustments. I like them, but they could be better.

I'm considering doing something similar to how iPhoto for IOS displays their "straighten" dial. I would like finer grained control, with more accurate feedback. If you have any suggestions, feel free to post.

Feedback and Knowledge Base